Duke University’s Nicholas School of Environment presents the executive education programme “Timberland Investments for Professionals”, to be held to be held 2-3 May, 2017 at the Park Plaza Victoria Hotel, London. Participants will explore the various components of a timberland investment transaction from both a resource and finance perspective. Attendees include foresters, institutional investors, investment analysts, attorneys, accountants, consultants, and other professionals who service participants in the timberland-investment sector. Therefore, if you are interested in timberland investments and you would like to broaden your minds and expand your knowledge in this subject, you must attend this event!
Led by Dr. Chris Zinkhan, CEO of The Forestland Group, the course will include a hands-on two-day workshop, 2 May evening social, and a bonus evening networking cocktail hour to be held in conjunction with the RISI Forest Investment Conference on their opening night of 3 May. Instructors for Duke’s course will include veteran timberland investors, forestry specialists, attorneys, accountants, and ecosystem-services consultants from both the US and Europe.
Timberland-investment professionals in developmental stages of their careers and forestry, accounting, legal, and conservation professionals who interact with them; investment analysts, portfolio managers, financial planners, and trust officers who make decisions regarding timberland assets; and public-policy officials who desire to better understand institutional timberland managers.
Continuing Education Credits will be available for some professional fields (SAF CFEs, CLE credits, etc). For more information, please contact the DEL program.
Experienced managers of timberland investment management organizations, attorneys, and Duke professors describe and analyze the global opportunity set of investments, trends, alternative strategies and tactics, timber-market fundamentals, the development of markets in ecological services, financial reporting and tax considerations, risk management, and financial criteria for assessing alternatives—all in a case format. Course will include a topical panel discussion with professionals.
DAY 1 – TIMBERLAND INVESTMENT FUNDAMENTALS
9am – 4pm: Classroom sessions include:
- Participants, Opportunity Sets, and Trends: Global Timberland Investment Opportunities – Chris Zinkhan, Chief Executive Officer, The Forestland Group LLC
- Investment Fund Structuring – Tom Johnson, Managing Director, Timberland Investment Resources LLC
- Why Include Timberland in an Investment Portfolio? Criteria for Assessing Alternatives – Thomas Bentzen, Due Diligence Manager, The International Woodland Company
- Undertaking Due Diligence on the Prospective Timberland-investment Opportunity – Blake Stansell, Sr Vice Present, The Forestland Group LLC; and Victor Haley, Partner, Eversheds Sutherland
- Timberland Valuation: Issues and Trends – Bret P. Vicary, Vice President, James W. Sewall Co.
4 – 7 pm: Panel Discussion and Networking social event
DAY 2 – ASSESSING INDIVIDUAL PROPERTIES AND TIMBERLAND PORTFOLIOS
8am – 4pm: Classroom sessions include:
- Income Tax Considerations of Timberland Investments – Daniel R. McKeithen, Partner, Eversheds Sutherland
- Timberland Financial Reporting – Corey Ficke, Ernst & Young
- Mergers and Acquisitions in the Global Timberland Sector – Willem Enthoven, Managing Director, FBR & Co.; Tom Blake, Managing Director, Pöyry Capital Limited; Celedonio Moncayo, Pöyry Capital Limited
- Assessing International Opportunities – Tony Cascio, Director, Client Account Management, Hancock Timber Resource Group
- Income Opportunities Beyond Timber Sales – Ricardo Bayon, Encourage Capital
6:30pm – 8pm: Networking Reception in conjunction with RISI Forestland Investment conference participants
Early Registration deadline: before April 17, 2017
For programme information and to register visit :
TIMBERLAND INVESTMENTS FOR PROFESSIONALS
Main photo credit: Duke University. Nicholas School of Environment.