Two weeks ago, I had a pleasure to participate in Western Forest Economists meeting, which was held in Fort Collins, in Colorado (USA). I would like to describe shortly what I have seen and experienced during that meeting. Click to continue…
One of the unseen victims of cocaine and marihuana uses are forests. There is even a term created to name the impact of drugs on forests and it is called “narco-deforestation”. It happens not only in developing countries, but developed as well. In this post, I will present you two cases, where narco-deforestation takes place. Definitely, you will be suprised!
Dear readers! I am thrilled to announce my first post in the Forest-Monitor blog! It has been a long time since I was planning to make my own blog about the forest sector. But, it was after a short conversation with Rafal Chudy during a conference in Florida – USA that I decide to accept the challenge and get my hands dirty.
During the 2017 Timberland Investment Conference, I interviewed Mr. Bob Izlar, the Director of University of Georgia (UGA) Harley Langdale, Jr. Center for Forest Business. Mr. Izlar tell us more about Forest Business Program at UGA, its main idea, potential opportunities after graduation, and in general about the demise of many world class forestry schools since mid-1970s.
Few weeks ago, one of our readers has sent us an interesting mail, where he described his recent discovery about Wollemi Pine- the oldest and rarest tree in the world. Instead of looking for such a tree somewhere in the virgin forest, he simply went to one of the wine stores in the United Kingdom, where he discovered it. Check it out!
Tanzania (Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar) is among the richest countries in terms of biodiversity and other natural resources. In this post, Greyson Z. Nyamoga tell us more about forest sector in Tanzania. If you are a forest geek, and you are planning to visit Tanzania soon, definitely this post will help you to understand better the forestry and wood industry in such a beutiful country as Tanzania. Enjoy!
Since many years, there were tries to value a subproduct of almond industry, which constitutes 75% of total almond biomass volume. Crashed and filtered almond shells, that we talk in this post about, surprisingly have similar characteristics to wood pellets. However, the biggest advantage of this energy carrier is undoubtedly its price, which is much more attractive, than its derived from wood competitor.
The Canary Islands are an are an archipelago and autonomous community of Spain located just off the southern coast of Morocco, only 100 kilometres (62 miles) west of its southern border. Did you know that the Canary Islands are also a home to the most fire-resistant pine in the world? If not, continue reading…
About 28% of Europe’s forests (including the European Part of Russia) is privately owned, while the rest (72%) are in public ownership. Nevertheless, when looking at particular regions of Europe, the share of privately owned forests is undoubtedly significant. Would you like to see how the distribution of forest ownership in Europe looks like?