Senior Researcher on Social Science Analysis of Natural Resource Management at the EFI Bonn Office, Germany
The European Forest Institute (EFI) is an international organisation with 27 member countries and around 120 associate member organisations. EFI undertakes forest research and policy support at a pan-European and global level, with its headquarters located in Joensuu, Finland. EFI’s other main offices are in Barcelona, Bonn, Bordeaux and Brussels. The Institute has app. 100 staff members and has an annual turnover of app. 14 million Euros. Further information about the organisation is available at www.efi.int.
EFI is seeking a Senior Researcher to join its Social Sciences team within the Resilience Programme, at its new office in Bonn, Germany, with a focus on the social science analysis of natural resource management.
The Resilience Programme is a new research programme at EFI. It aims to advance knowledge on the role of European forests as a green infrastructure in a global change context, delivering key ecosystem services for Europe’s societies. The Programme addresses the impacts of climate change, the need for adaptive forest management strategies and biodiversity as well as the role of forests in fostering resilient rural and urban areas. It will apply an inter and transdisciplinary perspective focusing on socio-ecological systems and will work at the science-policy-society interface.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Conduct social science research within a European research project related to forest management and biodiversity conservation.
- Publish research findings in both academic journals and policy and practice oriented media.
- Engage in communication and science-policy interface activities.
- Support the management of the Bonn office and the Resilience Programme.
- Proactively engage in international and national networking.
- Initiate and contribute to research applications.
- PhD in forestry, environmental sciences or similar disciplines with a focus on social science, or a comparable qualification.
- At least 5 years of working experience relevant for the position.
- A significant track record of publications and academic impact in social science relating to forests, natural resources and/or related environmental issues.
- Experience of working in research consortia, and particularly experience in European research consortia.
- Ability to collaborate in an international research team.
- Experience of interdisciplinary cooperation.
- Experience at the science policy interface and with stakeholder engagement.
- Experience related to the following themes/topics is an asset:
- Forest and land use governance.
- Social science aspects of forestry/forest management and biodiversity conservation.
- Integrated forest and land-use management.
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English are essential. Knowledge of German is an asset.
The employee will be based at EFI’s Bonn Office, Germany.
The employee will be an EFI staff member. A fixed term appointment of 2 ½ years is envisaged with the possibility for an extension.
This position offers a challenging opportunity to work within a stimulating international environment.
Interested candidates are requested to send (in English) a CV including copies of academic degree certificates/ diplomas with a motivation letter by 19th July 2017, using their online application form. If you are not able to apply online, please send your application to efi.hr @ efi.int.
For more information about the post, you can contact Georg Winkel, Head of Resilience Programme & Bonn Office: georg.winkel @ efi.int.